Galerie Kevorkian

Carnig Kevorkian One of them, Carnig opens a first shop in Paris, in the jewellers and antique dealers district of Drouot. In 1923, he opens a new address, 21 quai Malaquais, on the left bank of the Seine, where the Galerie Kevorkian is still located today.

In the meantime in New York, another brother, Hagop, builds a huge collection of Ancient Near Eastern and Islamic art, including an eponymous Mughal album of miniatures and calligraphies and some Houghton Shah Name pages. Some remnants of this collection regularly appear in public auctions and many others are preserved in some of the most prestigious American museums, such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Freer Gallery in Washington or the Cleveland Museum of Art. The Hagop Kevorkian Gallery in the Brooklyn Museum shelters twelve Assyrian stone reliefs, donated by Hagop in 1955.
He also created a foundation in New York which first established a chair at Columbia University and then at New York University.

If Hagop’s destiny and personality were flamboyant, the qualities which probably defined best Carnig were his modesty, his integrity and his genuine and selfless love for his profession. Those as well as his deep respect for his customers won him the unswerving loyalty of the most prominent collectors of his time, such as Jean Pozzi, Calouste Gulbenkian and his son in law, Kevork Essayan.